Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Young Adult (2 Stars)

I had the BEST idea for a movie evvvvver! It centered around this former high school snobby prom queen who is now in her late thirties and is extremely unhappy with her life. Then, to add a twist, she is also vindictively mean and it is near impossible for the audience to relate to her at all. She has no redeeming qualities, but at least she's a semi successful young adult author whose current novel parallels her own life.

After I watched Young Adult, I was disappointed to realize that my masterpiece of a movie was already made. Somebody had beaten me to the punch. I wanted to make a movie that was filled with endless amounts of uncomfortability. I wanted Patton Oswalt in my film. I wanted to not laugh at all and cringe a ton while watching my movie. I wanted to make a film that felt like all set up and then abruptly end it with no definitive conclusion. I wanted... I wanted to make a movie that reeks of mediocrity. 

Alas, Diablo Cody and Jason Reitman destroyed my dream. Excuse me while I go back to writing my other brilliant screenplay about a pregnant teenage girl in high school who makes quick-witted responses to everything. Hopefully this idea is still completely original. Fingers crossed!

The Breakdown: Not a bad film by any means. It is watchable and interesting to view in a tragic and awkward sort of way. I just wish that it had some of the charm of Diablo Cody's earlier film, Juno, and showed more growth from Charlize Theron's character, Mavis, who seemed destined to be an evil person. Perhaps she was prepping for her upcoming role as the evil queen in Snow White and The Huntsman. 

Young Adult will not put you in a good mood and it won't ever be your favorite movie, but at the very least it is an interesting look at someone extremely unhappy with themselves. It shows how Mavis is grasping onto the last thing that made her truly happy: her life in high school and her ex-boyfriend. The fact that he's married now with a daughter is also no biggie.

Interesting movie? Yes. Profound movie? No.


No comments:

Post a Comment