Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Campaign (2 and 1/2 Stars)

It's been a long long looooong time since I had any desire to see a goofball Will Ferrell movie. The last one I watched and actually liked was Anchorman. Since then I have been tortured with Blades of Glory, sickened by the bland Bewitched, taunted by Step Brothers, bored to sleep with Kicking and Screaming, and assaulted by The Other Guys... Ahh! I still cringe when I think about The Other Guys. 

As one might imagine, I learned my lesson to stay away from Will Ferrell movies... or did I? The Campaign's fun filled trailers, movie posters, and the presence of Zach Galifinackis made the film not only look watchable, but incredibly funny. To my surprise, I found my myself yearning to go to the theater and see this movie. I tried to talk myself out of it. I told myself that I must be overworked and not thinking clearly. Surely, the trailers are misleading like most trailers tend to be. There is no possible way that this movie will satisfy my movie needs. Then something strange and bizarre happened. My body took over. Before I knew it, I was walking to the theater and was minutes away from viewing this motion picture... WhAt HAd I dOnE?!

The complete ridiculousness of Will Ferrell and Zack Galifinackis' battle for a congressional seat turned out to be an all around enjoyable and hilarious film to watch. Sure the absurdity level reached exponentially high levels however, in this case, it worked really well. I ate up every minute of it. 

Like most comedies of this caliber, the story tends to be second to the gags. The movie seemed to be running on who could one up the other guy and often jumped from one absurd scene to the next even more absurd scene. Now don't get me wrong, there definitely was a great deal of laughing on my part. Still, the story left room for further development. The back and forth of the rivalry felt stretched a tad too far. 

I was also thrilled to see Dan Aykroyd and John Lithgow in the film. That's all I really felt they were there for, to stop in, say hello, and be slightly menacing. They made a few appearances and that was about it. I mean, you have these great comedians so give them more opportunities to perform.

The Breakdown: This is one of the best Will Ferrell movies that I have seen in quite some time and Zach Galifinackis continues to play over the top funny characters. His role in this film is so off the wall, yet it's believable. I truly believe there are people out there like the one he played. The Campaign will not shatter your laugh boxes or be known as one of the best comedies of all time. It will however, make you laugh and is definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment