Friday, August 27, 2010

The Other Guys (1/2 star)

   I get that The Other Guys was a send up to seventies buddy cop movies. I get that with Adam McKay and Will Ferrell, it would include ridiculous, off the wall jokes. I get that improve has the potential to be funny, really really funny. Unfortunately, The Other Guys was a painful string of poor SNL-esque skits that were rolled together into a dreadfully thin ball of yarn. It’s weak story line and flat one dimensional characters were far too powerful and unbearable to form any kind of watch-able film. When I wasn’t shaking my head at some of the pathetic jokes, I was wondering when the movie would end, so that I could go home and watch a film worth my time. The Other Guys was all around bad, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  
   I believe it is safe to say that one should stay away from any Will Ferrell movie that comes out in the future. He is a one note actor who is in desperate need of some range and after watching him in this “film,” I realized that I would be okay never seeing him in another movie again. Do something different. Please! Stranger Than Fiction was a wonderful film, stretch out your talent again! I feel like Will Ferrell’s movies are  different stale genres that are recycled from throw away scripts. Then followed by the insertion of a slightly tweaked familiar persona of himself, blended with improve, which 9 times out of 10, fails. From figure skater to basketball player to race car driver to cop, Will Ferrell always plays someone similar, with the only difference being his costume. 
   If there was a sequel to Step Brothers, with the main characters becoming cops, this would be the closest thing to it. The humor is very comparable. And I use the word humor very loosely. In my opinion, the hilarity well has run dry for Will Ferrell, very dry. Can he do another great film or are those days too far gone? Anchorman was incredible... and then there were pale imitations like The Other Guys.
   I had descent hopes for this film. The trailer looked funny. Rotten Tomato gave it a 76%. Michael Keaton, one of my favorite actors, played the police captain. I mistakenly thought that I would enjoy an entertaining film and at the very least, have some laughs. Instead, I was served characters that I didn’t care about, including one of the stupidest back-stories EVER. Mark Wahlberg was a joke and not in the funny way. Michael Keaton was severely underused. The crime that “the other guys “ were attempting to solve wasn’t that interesting, nor was the villain behind it. Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson’s characters were killed off way too early in the film and for what felt like a wasted joke. I think that the film would have been much stronger with the two of them in it. Hell, the film would have been much stronger if it was done completely differently.
The Breakdown
Plot: 0 stars
Actors/Characters: 0 stars
Genre: 0 stars
Technical Aspects: 1/2 star

No comments:

Post a Comment