Saturday, April 21, 2012

Titanic 3D (4 Stars)

It’s amazing to think that one hundred years after the original Titanic disaster, people are still entranced by this epic event. Now Titanic, the film, has set sail once again. It has returned to theaters after its maiden voyage in 1997 and this time, James Cameron has converted it into 3D (only cost $18 million to do. No big deal)! The movie easily made up its miniscule additional costs (made over $25 million its first weekend back in theaters) and added to the original film’s already historic box office gross (over $1.8 billion worldwide and counting). Avatar is the only film that has grossed more in theaters. Movie goers clearly are still running out to see Leo and Kate together on the big screen.

Truthfully, I was indifferent to the whole rerelease. I remember enjoying Titanic, but going to see it in theaters again and pay extra for 3D glasses was not something I was that enthused about doing. Fortunately for me, I have an amazing wife who happens to love the movie and my presence was requested (aka required). To my amazement, I was blown away by the film all over again!

The tragic sinking of the ship is now more harrowing to witness. As a viewer, I felt even closer to the tragedy. Not just due to the 3D, but also because I am older now and was able to understand and appreciate the story in a much different way. It definitely made me feel very fortunate that I have so much time to spend with the one I love. 

Now some may have been skeptical of what I would still consider a gimmick to attract more people to theaters however, one can’t deny that 3D, when done right, truly enhances a film. It adds depth to the movie. Sure I wondered if this meant people jumping off the ship during its final minutes would be flying at my face. Worse yet, would people be bobbing in the water and crowd my personal space? I mean, I don’t need to get that close to dead frozen people in the water. I’d prefer to observe from a safe distance. My idiotic fears were put to rest after viewing the motion picture and the 3D was clearly done tastefully and did not disrupt from the flow of the story.

My only gripe is that with the movie being over three hours long, my back and neck started to hurt and were slightly distracting me from fully enjoying the movie. I know for next time, that I should properly stretch before seeing such long films. Perhaps some yoga would have been beneficial or hot yoga, which I hear is all the rage. Working out until I almost faint sounds quite appealing. Then, once awakened and in a groggy state, I can enjoy a tragic tale on the big screen with zero pain. Well, at least I know what to do for the inevitable Lord Of The Rings in 3D.

The Breakdown: Titanic still holds up by today’s movie making standards. It is a film that has everything you ever wish to see in a movie. There is a tragic tale of forbidden romance separated by the rich and poor classes (Romeo and Juliet much?!). Then there is also a great action/disaster picture that takes up the last third of the movie. Tensions run high as Jack and Rose try to survive. Is there any great movie moment that this film doesn’t have? Me thinks not. I declare this movie: a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment