Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Black Swan (4 Stars)

An absolutely flawless film. I was mesmerized as I witnessed a ballerina take her profession far too seriously in an effort to achieve greatness. Nina (Natalie Portman) worked so hard at her craft that she made me feel a little lazy. Granted I don't sit on my couch all day eating a bag of chips and watching every reality show I DVRed. The main goal of such an event being a complete numbing of the mind. Then again, I also don't push myself to the brink of insanity and obsess over one thing so completely that it engulfs my life. Hmm, it would appear I have a happy balance between the two. Yay for me. On the other hand, I don't inhabit a home with my deranged mother who lives vicariously through her child and prohibits me from having any semblance of a normal life. So it would appear my lack of a dysfunctional home life is actually preventing me from being great. Nah!

I loved how the director was able to get into my head and make me feel like I was experiencing the movie through Nina's mind. By using a lot of close ups on Natalie Portman and by making the film by only using hand held cameras, my brain was spinning out of control just as Nina's did. I was still reeling for days after I saw the movie. Attempting to understand what was real and what was a warped illusion fabricated by the mentally broken mind of Nina. Needless to say, it was awesome. I go ga ga for movies that mess with my head. And let me tell ya, this is a head messer. 

The Breakdown: It was amazing to be sucked into this world and see how one's obsession for perfection could go too far. Utterly brilliant piece of cinema! No one who calls themselves a movie connoisseur should go another nanosecond without seeing this masterpiece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment