Sunday, February 20, 2011

Toy Story 3 (4 Stars)

I don't know how they do it, but Pixar is a rare company that doesn't have the ability to produce a bad film. Sure, some of their films are better than other ones they've made; however, all of their movies tend to be a step above the rest of the animated films out there. Not to mention, especially their recent flicks, have a certain emotional impact on the viewer that could easily outdo dramas with live actors. This company consistently produces stellar movies with films that sound ridiculous and too simple to sustain someone's attention span for 90+ minutes. A rat that can cook? An old man who ties balloons to his house in order to travel? Toys that can talk and have feelings like people? Preposterous! With each new film, I think to myself, "this is going to be Pixar's first floppity flop," yet all of them work and are often lumped together with my favorite films that I have seen of that year. 

Toy Story 3... Really? Another one? The third film in most movie franchises is 9 times out of 10 more painful than slamming your hand repeatedly in a car door. Then refusing to take any pain medication or go to a doctor to get help. Eventually deciding to cut the hand off with a dull saw due to it turning black and fianlly replacing it with a metal hook that you welded out of an old refrigerator handle. Take a look at Spiderman 3, X-Men 3: The Last Stand, and Shrek The Third. All threequels. All terrible and pain inducing. 

Toy Story 3's premise: The toys we have adored in two previous films accidentally get donated to a daycare. When I initially read this, my heart sank. Sounds like a weak plot with a boring setting. Surely two movies was more than enough to tell about Woody and Buzz's adventures together. Did we really need a third film that was just milking the success of the first two. The answer, drum roll please, is an astounding YES YES and YES. Toy Story 3 neatly wraps up the series and proves to be just as emotional as those tear jerking first ten minutes in Up

The movie hit much closer to home for me than any of the other Pixar films. I could relate so easily. I too used to be obsessed with toys when I was young. I went from my Batman, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, G.I. Joes, and Star Trek action figures to growing up and out to college. Leaving them behind to collect dust in a storage bin. I still feel bad for Spock, who was tragically attacked by the ferocious Golden Retriever who called herself Brandy. His Vulcan hand that issued the sign for live long and prosper was gnawed off. I guess Brandy disagreed with his philosophy. That reminds me, seeing Andy's dog Buster as an old pooch was also upsetting to me. Dogs age way too quickly. Thanks for reminding me Toy Story 3!

By far, the most emotionally draining part of the movie came when Woody, Buzz and the gang are at the garbage dump. All of them are slowly sliding down a massive pile of garbage. They hold each other's hands as they wait to be incinerated. They have accepted their fate. Their purpose in this world has become obsolete. There is nothing else for them to look forward to. My heart whimpered as I wasn't ready to say goodbye. If this scene and the one to follow with Andy at Bonnie's house didn't get to you, then I fear the kind of world we live in where people have no emotional attachment towards inanimate objects. Toy Story 3 left me feeling sad and hopeful. Things and people change. Nothing is ever constant. As long as you adapt and stay positive, there is still plenty of joy to find in the next stage of your life's journey. 

The Breakdown: In the end, Toy Story 3 delivered. It created a world filled with joy and laughter rooted in emotional truths of growing up and moving on to the next stage in ones life. I never thought a movie about inanimate objects could have so much to say about living. Obviously, I underestimated Woody and Buzz. This toy flick is a masterpiece. Easily one of the greatest animated films ever made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment