Friday, February 11, 2011

The Social Network (3 & 1/2 stars)

Almost everyone we know has a Facebook, automatically making this film that much more intriguing to a wider audience. At least for me, my having a Facebook was the only reason that I took the time to watch this flick. I thought to myself, I have Facebook. This movie is about Facebook. Maybe if I watch this movie, I will become closer to Facebook and together we can rule the world! Muahahahaha! Hmm... perhaps I went too far. 

Let's start again. This film is much better than I thought it would be and that's mainly due to the incredible dialogue throughout. The story is interesting; however, it is the words that come out of the actor's mouths that really drives the film into Academy Award worthy territory. The dialogue spews out of Jesse Eisenberg's mouth at such a rapid fire pace that it was exciting trying to keep up. Not to mention, amusing at how much of a self-centered jerk Mark Zuckerberg was made out to appear. I'm curious how far off the portrayal is from the actual man. 

'The Social Network' was the fastest 120 minute movie that I have ever watched. Just to be clear, I mean that as a compliment. Without any fist fights, car chases, or other over the top moments, the film still managed to be exhilarating and leave a lasting impression. By time it ended, I felt a sense of motivation. Not many movies have this affect on me. It's a great feeling.

The Breakdown: 'The Social Network' is easily one of the top contenders to win an Oscar for best picture this year. Jesse Eisenberg moves away from his nervous little nerd roles to become a character I would describe as fierce. Still a nerd, but a fierce nerd. This movie is a must see in my book and my Facebook status will reflect that come Oscar night.

No comments:

Post a Comment